One, the very first unified Korean language dictionary
ㅇ Respective Korean Committees select 10 Compilation Committee members.
ㅇ The Joint Compilation Committee sets directions for dictionary compilation at every step after the rounds of discussions.
ㅇ Staff members from both Koreas seek consensus when administering general operations and other processes.
Two, the dictionary to overcome linguistic difference between two Koreas
ㅇ Differences in writing/spoken conventions will be compared, discussed and reflected in compilation process.
- i.e. pronunciation of ㄹ/ㅇ in the head of a word, consonant ㅅ between two combined words
ㅇ The linguists from both sides have formed the Unifying Writing Conventions Committee for the purpose.
Three, pure and unique Korean words will be the main focus
ㅇ The dictionary will prioritize listing unique words of Korean origin, while selectively including words from Chinese and other foreign sources
ㅇ Investigations will be conducted to include new words from literature classics and local vocabularies that were never listed in existing dictionaries.
- For this purpose, task force teams will be formed such as literature archive search, regional vocabulary and, field research teams.
Four, technologically advanced dictionary equipped with electronic version
o On-line dictionary will provide improved sort/search/classification functions
o Electronic version will enable younger generations from both Koreas to get access to the dictionary with ease.
“To compile Gyeoremal-keunsajeon is to revive our soul and to prepare for future together.”
Gyeoremal-keunsajeon is the most stable project amongst all the inter-Korean socio-cultural exchange attempts. The joint compilation project is the produce of true collaboration between two Koreas, not unilateral support from South to North Korea. Regular roundtable discussions and field researches make it possible for the project to build upon measurable and tangible results.
☞ The most solid enterprise among nonpolitical inter-Korean communication projects
- The academics from South and North Korea get together for joint work.
- The Joint Compilation Committee meets four times every year to set the direction for dictionary compilation
- Regular exchanges of outcomes enable both sides to compare notes and evaluate each other’s work in time.
Gyeoremal-keunsajeon is the very first pan-Korean work of its kind embracing Koreans in both Koreas and overseas. Therefore, it is not to be simply categorized as only inter-Korean exchange. Gyeoremal-keunsajeon involves diverse vocabularies from the North, regional dialects in the South and unique words used by overseas Koreans. Task force teams conduct field researches to collect regional vocabularies and dialects of domestic and international.
☞ The scale of the project strives to revive and restore all the spoken and written words of our tongue.
- It embraces entire Korean vocabularies in use by overseas Koreans as far as China, Russia, Japan and United States.
- Respective Korean Committees operate regional teams to investigate and collect live vocabularies in use as of current
- Field research task force teams will investigate jargons, industrial lexicon and everyday vocabularies.
Gyeoremal-keunsajeon should stop under no condition.
While there are political turbulences in inter-Korean relationship, the joint compilation project should continue nonetheless. All the committee members from South and North Korea have pledged not to let any external factors interrupt our collaborative work.